Thursday, December 12, 2013

The 12 Delights of Chocolate 2013

Chocolate continues to be a passion, with the search for good drinking chocolate and awesome chocolate desserts my ongoing habit.  Though my discoveries are not always vegan (chocolate is my vegan exception), when I do find excellent vegan chocolate creations, it makes the indulgence that much more perfect. 

Here are some of the highlights from my chocolate adventures from this past year.  (They are listed in no particular order.)  And throughout the new year, don't forget to check my chocolate blog for the latest chocolate discoveries.

(1) The European Drinking Chocolate from Dandelion Chocolate in the Mission District of San Francisco, with a chocolate caramel tart and complementary madeline cookie.  Opened in late 2012, Dandelion was one of my best chocolate finds this year.  Their European Drinking Chocolate is Italian-inspired, wonderfully thick and rich, made from 70% cacao Rio Caribe beans, and served in a unique egg shaped cup.  A vegan version is also available.  I could go on about this place, and I do in my review earlier this year during American Chocolate Week.

(2) My vegan chocolate chip loaf.  One of my vegan baking successes, which I've yet to blog about it and I need to!  I brought it to our family vacation in Monterey in June and they all loved it.  They probably wouldn't have even known it was vegan if I didn't tell them.

(3) The Sipping Chocolate at Back Yard Coffee Company in Redwood City.  Made from a pre-made packaged chocolate mix, warmed in a chocolate dispenser, it was sweeter than I prefer (which is disappointing), but it is served in an attractive espresso cup, is relatively inexpensive (under $3), and I enjoy the ambiance at Back Yard Coffee.  They also have parking.  Check out my review from earlier this year during American Chocolate Week.

(4) A scone and the Dark Chocolate Drinking Chocolate from Rue du The in Burlingame.  This had been my "go to" drinking chocolate spot but they made changes this year which limited their selections and impacted the quality of their drinking chocolates making them much sweeter than in the past.  Yet, it is still a great place in spite and it is one of the first places I discovered Italian-style drinking chocolate in the Bay Area.  Check out my review from earlier this year during American Chocolate Week.

(5) A dark chocolate cookie with sea salt and mocha with almond milk at Downtown Local.  This new coffee house in Pescadero opened in October 2013, and provides quality coffee, TCHO chocolate, and wonderful pastries with an eclectic, hipster ambiance.  A great place to spend an afternoon, and another reason to come visit me in the redwoods!  I discovered this little treasure last month and reviewed it on the blog.

(6) The double chocolate muffin from the Pescadero Country Store (just down the block from the new Downtown Local).  Baked fresh by Cindy, this muffin is my "go-to" when I need a chocolate cake fix on the road.  I love getting one in the morning when the muffin is still warm and the chocolate chips are melty.  It is light and not overly sweet.

(7) The chocolate croissant from the Pescadero Country Store.  While I adore their chocolate muffins, I love their chocolate croissants.  Unfortunately, they do not feature them all the time but when they do, I'll get one (along with a chocolate muffin to go).  These are one of my favorite chocolate croissants with a thick layer of deep dark chocolate on the bottom, enfolded in a light flakey pastry.  Check out my blog on chocolate croissants here.

(8) The Drinking Chocolate from Mokka in Berkeley.  65% cacao Madagascar Guittard chocolate melted with your choice of milk.  I made this one soy.  Frothy and foamy rather than creamy and decadent, but a nice balanced taste of sweet and bittersweet, with fruity undertones.  Check out my review from earlier this year during American Chocolate Week.

(9) My attempt at vegan chocolate chip scones.  I planned to blog about these but never got around to it.  I am slowly learning about baking vegan, and while these weren't perfect, they were pretty good.  Using lots of fair-trade, vegan chocolate chips helped.

(10) Vegan chocolate zucchini muffins from one of my baking adventures with my cousin Janeen.  Every few months, we spend a day, catching up and eating falafels for lunch, then chatting and baking vegan desserts.  While this recipe from Colleen Patrick Goudreau's The Joy of Vegan Baking was easy and delicious when baking with Janeen, my attempts at replicating it at home, however, have not been so successful.

(11) The Sipping Chocolate from Serendipity Chocolates in San Carlos.  With drinking chocolate being "my thing" and 5 different drinking chocolates on their menu, Serendipity has become one of my "go to" places when I am looking for a quiet afternoon of journaling, reading, or work.  Made with high quality chocolate, each of their drinking chocolates can be made vegan.  Check out my review from earlier this year during American Chocolate Week.


(12) Double chocolate cookie, chocolate macaroon, and hot chocolate from La Boulange in Burlingame.  Though the hot chocolate was a little light and weak, the desserts however were rich and decadent.  The macaroon was divine, and the cookie was fudgey, brownie-like, thick and gooey.  And I love that they serve their hot chocolate in a bowl which you pick up with both hands to sip.

For 2013, these are my 12 delights of chocolate.  If you have suggestions of places I need to visit in 2014, don't hesitate in contacting me and may be we can meet up, catch up, and check it out together. 

May your 2014 be blessed and full of all things chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment