Sunday, December 15, 2013

Merry Christmas and Happy 2014!

Hello folks,
It's been nearly 2 years since I've posted on this annual blog to update you on the latest goings on in my life.  Though many of my day to day endeavors continue on, there have been some major changes since I've last written.

The first big change is that I'm walking the single life again, and have been so for the last year and a half.  I was not in the best of places during the holidays last year and wasn't in the mood to write an update.  But having gone through a year, I am in a good place and keeping more than busy.

Another big change has been my vehicle.  Since it's been a while since I've written, many of you don't know.  In October 2012 on a wet night, just after 8 pm, I hit a slick spot on Highway 84, loss control and went up an embankment (which is better than me having gone down it).  While I suffered no injury, the Matrix never recovered, and through God's gracious provision, I am now a proud owner of a 2009 Toyota Prius (pictured above).  It's driving well, saving gas, and having less impact on the environment which is, I believe, a very important thing!

After 7 years, I continue to live and serve at Redwood Glen Camp and Conference Center in Loma Mar, CA.  However, I am now the full-time Guest Services/Marketing Coordinator, and have been so since January.  I continue to make my home in Creekside cabin, a 2 bedroom house at camp (pictured above).  It is beside Hoffman Creek, and every day I am blessed as I leave my home and cross the bridge over the creek to get to my car or to walk 2 minutes up the hill to the office.  Not a bad commute, with great co-workers and beautiful surroundings.

Along with 40 hours of work, I also continue in the Doctor of Ministry program at the American Baptist Seminary of the West.  The focus of my studies is ecological spirituality, which considers how our connection with creation allows us to experience God as Creator and embrace our call to care for creation.  I completed my BIG project in October this year, which was a one-day retreat on a Franciscan Lectio Divina of creation.  The group (pictured below) was wonderful to work with and are core to my ongoing project of developing a "Canticle of re:Creation."  (If you are interested in learning more about this topic, or having me lead a retreat in your ministry setting, please let me know or check out my still developing website, "re-creation-network.com")


Overall, the material I presented at this eco-spiritual retreat was well received.  As follow-up and final feedback come in, writing begins this semester on the Christian tradition of the "Book of Nature" and the spiritual discipline of "Lectio Divina".  There is a lot of work ahead, but if I buckle in and focus, the plan is to be done with my D.Min by spring 2015, which means "Dr. Jay" for you all!

Along with work and school, I am also on the Executive Committee of the Ministers Council of the Greater Bay Area (MCGBA), my way of keeping in touch with my pastoral ministry colleagues.  I serve as the communications person and put together the e-newsletter (a task I also do for Redwood Glen).

With everything else, I also wear my pastoral hat on occasion as I performed an outdoor wedding this year at Big Sur, preached a few times, and led a weekend retreat.  Life is very full.

And in case you are wondering, I continue to pursue a vegan diet, and to run so that I can enjoy my chocolate indulgences.  (For my 12 delights of chocolate 2013, see the blog below.)  I tackle about 7 miles, three times a week during the spring, summer, and fall, typically along Old Haul Road on the back side of the camp. Because it gets cold and dark so early during the winter, my exercise routines change.  However, on January 12, 2014, I'll be attempting my first "official" run in a few years.  When I found it, I couldn't resist -- The Hot Chocolate Run seems like it was made for someone like me, someone who runs for the chocolate!

Highlights of 2013 include:
* My 12 delights of chocolate 2013.  Check them out on the blog below.  And if you have suggestions of chocolate I need to try in the new year, don't hesitate in letting me know.

* My godsons graduations.  In June, Brandon graduated from elementary school and Micah from middle school.  Here they are messing around with sister Kayla (now a senior in high school).  Unfortunately, I have not had much time at all in recent years to spend time with them.  It's definitely not like it was when they were little and would see them every week.

* Family vacation in Monterey for my birthday and my parents' 49th wedding anniversary.  A good time hanging out at a rental, which was literally across the street from the ocean, and visiting the sites like the Monterey Bay Aquarium (pictured above).  Tyus is now a teenager who is into desiging robots with Rolling Robots (I saw him compete earlier this year).  Natalie is 11 and will be starring as little Clara in the South Bay Ballet production of the Nutcracker (Uncle Larry is very proud).  And Teresa is 9, reads up a storm, loves animals, and is a little dancer herself with the Torrettes Drill Team.  I continue to make trips to LA at least three times a year, typically to celebrate each of their birthdays.

 
* It was a year of reunions.  In March, I attended the 40th celebration of Asian American Christian Fellowship.  Here I am pictured above with Dave, Arli, and Les, a chain of campus ministers at U.C. Berkeley.  I served with AACF at UCB for 4 years from 1988-1992.

* Then in September, I attended my 30 year high school reunion from Pinole Valley High School.  Go Spartans!  It's hard to believe how quickly time flies.  It was a good night seeing people I had not seen in literally 3 decades, like Laura, Lorie, and Janine.

 * In October I had an article published in the Franciscan bi-monthly magazine, The Way of St. Francis, on the Canticle quilts at San Damiano Retreat in Danville, created by Cindy Wesley.  The article was a side project for some research I conducted in 2012 on art and spirituality in raising ecological consciousness.  It was good to see the article in print and to share the back story on these beautiful quilts with people.  A link to the article is coming!

As 2013 wraps up, I know I am blessed.  God is very good and through my struggles this past year, I am thankful for my faith in Christ who continues to be my strength, my Savior, my friend.  During this season as we celebrate Jesus who was born an Earthling to show us God's love, may you find comfort in the God who is with us, Emmanuel, Christ the Lord.

HAVE A BLESSED CHRISTMAS AND JOY-FILLED NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment