Thursday, January 5, 2017

A new chapter begins

Hello friends and family,
With the close of 2016, I wrap up over 10 years of ministry at Redwood Glen and a life time in California.  The new year brings a new journey as I leave everything I am familiar and begin my tenure as Executive Director of Rolling Ridge Retreat and Conference Center in North Andover, Massachusetts on January 15, 2017.  (www.rollingridge.org)

Yes, this Cali boy is moving to New England in the middle of winter!  And no, I am not crazy.

This opportunity at Rolling Ridge allows me to combine 10 years of camping ministry experience with over 10 years of pastoral ministry.  Staff operations and program development are the two areas “The Ridge” (as it is lovingly called) is looking to me to expand.  I spent a week in Massachusetts during the coldest December the natives have experienced in years, and while the weather was cold, the reception of the staff, the board, and the New England United Methodist Conference was warm and welcoming.  Rolling Ridge is a UMC camp and the Conference will be my new employers.

To be honest, the past year was a rough one personally and professionally.  It was a year full of “Thank you, but no” rejection letters from positions that I thought would be perfect, including one as a final candidate for an Executive Director position at an American Baptist camp and a temporary “lay off” from Redwood Glen because of the water crisis.  (You'll have to email me about that one.)

With 2017 now here, that is all behind me as the trailer is packed and I am off to Rolling Ridge in North Andover, MA.  A great big THANK YOU to those who came out on a wet day to help with my big move day (pictured above).  I am scheduled to fly out on January 11th on a red-eye with the 2 cats and 2 suitcases, arriving January 12th.  With rain in the forecast, please pray for safe travels and no delays for myself and my stuff.  As hard as it is to pack-up and say good-bye to all I am familiar with, the most stressful part of the move is the unknowns.

Speaking of my two vegan (yes, vegan) cats, Francis (the grey tabby) and Bonaventure (the white one) are well.   They will be two on Earth Day April 22nd.  They are named after St. Francis of Assisi and St. Bonaventure, two theologians whose writings I spent a lot of time studying during my doctoral studies.  I now get to spend time (not as much as the “boys” would like) with the feline namesake of these Franciscans.  For their East Coast trip, the cats will be flying in cargo with United's PetSafe.  You don't even want to know how much it costs to fly out pets!  Luckily my new employers will be covering the relocation costs for these members of my family.

I am blessed to have a 4 bedroom house with a basement as my new home.  There's plenty of room for guests so please consider visiting.  I'm just 30 minutes from Boston and will be looking for some folks to explore my new neighborhood.  My new address is located on the right column of this blog (and at the end).

MY “NOT SO LITTLE ANYMORE” PEOPLE

While there are many things I will miss by moving to the "other" coast (including chocolate at Downtown Local in Pescadero), I will dearly miss being near family (especially my parents, my sister, brother-in-law, and the "n-kids"), and the "g-kids." The kids as you can imagine are not so little anymore and I am proud of the people they are becoming as they each grow in their faith and in the Lord.

The “G” kids (Godkids above) at Brandon's graduation with honors from Creekside Middle School - Kayla (a junior at UC Irvine), Brandon (a freshman at Castro Valley High), and Micah (a senior at CVHS).

The “N” kids (Nephew and  Nieces above) – Tyus (16), Teresa (12), and Natalie (14).  Tyus continues to enjoy online gaming.  Teresa reads books like water.  Natalie continues with ballet.

One of my first Cali visits will be in June for Natalie's ballet and Micah's graduation.  I may try to visit for Mother's Day but we'll see what the calendar holds.

IN OTHER NEWS

Some highlights from 2016 include treating the family to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios in July.

And a trip to Costa Rica in October to visit a friend in the Peace Corps (Karen Campbell) and to experience the Puerto Viejo Chocolate Festival.  Excellent times of fun and vacation.

With a move to the East Coast and a new position, the journey takes a new turn.  There are times I am excited beyond measure about what lies before me.  And there are times when fear grips me and I wonder if this is really God's direction for me.  A friend in an email shared a line that has been a great source of encouragement through this process = “God's got you.”  Amid the stress and concerns that will come my way in the coming weeks, it is a comfort to know that God's has me firm in the palm of His hand.  I've been telling people that I feel a lot like Abraham following God's call to leave all that is familiar and to follow God's lead to a place He will show me. For me, New England is a whole new world away from all I know but I make this move trusting in God's grip of me.  Please keep in touch!

Reach me via email: larry.jay@mac.com or lawrence.jay@rollingridge.org, via phone: (415) 608-6354 (mobile) or (978) 258-1878 (home), via mail: 640 Great Pond Road, North Andover, MA  01845 or on the blog at: http://update-me-larry.blogspot.com/.

Peace,
Larry
(or “Lawrence” as I'll be know at the Ridge. You'll have to email me about that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment